Graduation Day

An opportunity for advancement within the Journal Broadcast Group presented itself recently and I grabbed it. My new business cards say “assistant program director” for Classic Hits 93.1 WNOX. In addition to my APD duties, I do remote broadcasts and I will voice testimonial spots for select clients.

While I was manning the WNOX booth at the Fanboy Expo, I had to explain to a few listeners that I worked for two of Journal’s radio stations.

For the past eight years, I’ve been on the Marc & Kim and Frank morning show on Star 102.1. I also do a weekend deejay shift and I fill in on other dayparts when needed. In fact, I’ve been doing the 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. shift since April when former midday host Dusti left the station.

After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to take myself off the morning show. When I informed my bosses, they asked me to stay with the show until the summer solstice. Tomorrow will be my last morning shift. On Monday, it goes back to being the Marc & Kim Show. I’ll be on after them at 10 o’clock.

My new job is keeping me busy. I’ve been going on sales calls, ordering promotional items, arranging ticket giveaways and solving technical issues. I find myself checking my radio at all hours to make sure everything is running smoothly. I was able to play a significant role in landing Sam’s Club as a local advertiser.

Because I’ll now be able to arrive at work after sunrise, I have been contemplating a new morning routine. On Monday, I plan to make coffee at home and then I will go for a swim while it’s brewing.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Graduation Day

1. Gina says:

Say it ain’t so! No, seriously, that’s a great opportunity for you, but I (and I’m sure many, many, many other listeners) will sure miss you in the mornings! I love your off-the-cuff, deadpan comments. Your non-sequiturs keep me in stitches! You’ll be very much missed.

2. Jere says:

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! AND PROUD OF YOU!!!

3. STEPHANIE LAWSON says:

SAD DAY YOUR LEAVING THE MORNING SHOW! ;…(
    ON THE OTHER HAD GLAD YOU ARE GETTING TO DO OTHER THINGS.

4. bean says:

Congratulations, Frank. It will feel so great to not get up in the 4:00 hour Monday I bet. I wish you all the best with your new schedule. And do let me know the next time WNOX is playing “The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald.”

5. Chris Dotson says:

Congratulations, Frank. You will be sorely missed in the morning by everyone, but I’m happy to hear you have this opportunity! You deserve it, sir!

6. Lisa says:

Congratulations Frank! This is exciting news for the K’ville radio market! Any chance Classic Hits 93.1 WNOX will be available on iHeart Radio anytime soon?

7. maureen Heale says:

congratulations Frank!you will certainly enjoy your coffee and swim and not rushing out early.so glad this opportunity came to you

8. Vanessa says:

So excited that you have had this opportunity, but know, that some of us here in Knox area have been fans of yours since the first day you were there volunteering to answer phones for Marc and Kim. You have provided lots of laughs (usually at your expense) and it is sad for us who have loved the chemistry of the morning trio! You will have to find someone of Kim’s caliber who can come on your new spots and give you some on air disgust with everything about you!!! Best of luck Frank.

9. Jo says:

Congratulations Frank! You will be sorely missed on the morning show. I guess it will be nice not to battle with your coffee nemesis anymore.

10. Laura Kolarik says:

Congrats!!! This sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

11. kathi dougherty says:

You certainly deserve all the accolades but I will “flat out” miss you in the mornings. I’ll be listening tomorrow morning via the internet since I’ll be in Chattanooga and I may even shed a tear. What’s up with that??? See you around town and I will add 93.1 to my programmed buttons.

12. Congratulations Frank !! Glad you will still be with the station. However, I will miss you being on with Marc and Kim. You were always so funny ! :-)

13. Monty says:

Wow. Glad to see you get promoted and have a chance at new opportunities! The morning show won’t be the same without you, but at least you aren’t leaving Knoxville.

14. Juan from Sherman Oaks says:

Congratulations to my favorite hot-headed producer on the Realistic plug-and-talk from Radio Shack.

15. Lori Ingram says:

Frank, I am so happy for your next chapter in your life. You will be greatly missed on the morning show, but I’m very glad I was able to win one “Her vs. Him while you were delivering the questions. Kind of a great way to finish off. Just so you know, I’ve been listening to 93.1 in my car and I love it. I go to physical therapy twice a week and I even got the center to change to that station. Really enjoy the music. Anyway congrats and good luck and I think they couldn’t have picked a better person to do the job.

16. Frank anywhere you go, your presence alone fills up the space .You stand out, your easy smile,and your knowledge that you share with the world.

Where ever you go , you make an impact on people. New jobs, new roles, new experiences. :)

17. Lisa says:

Frank,

Marc and Kim are good, but you were the “off-beat” element that made the show great.

18. Lola A. says:

Congrats, Frank!! Advancement and progress are always a good thing! So happy for you! :) By the way, will you still be doing Dancing with the Knoxville Stars or will you pass on that hat to someone else?

19. melissa says:

This news is very bittersweet. Happy for you but it is terrible (for us) at the same time. You are so intellegent, witty, fun, easy to relate to, wise & awesome! You will be so missed and have added SO very much to my life and mornings all of these years! I will really miss your stories and such about your youth, your family & daily happenings & opinions about … well… everything. This better be a prank (I hope). *Cheers*

20. Kim McCready says:

Congratulations!!!!! We will miss hearing you in the morning commute to school.

21. Christopher Treidel says:

Will your sleep pattern change? I know you sleep four hours then stay up for awhile then sleep another four hours. Congratulations on the promotion.

22. Tim Coleman says:

Congratulations on your promotion. You deserve it. Onward and upward!

23. Dawn Presley says:

I have thoroughly enjoyed every quirky, albeit relatable, story you shared, as well as your witty humor over the last several years. You’ve only made the morning show that much better! I know I’ll still get to hear, “Remember when Frank…” moments from time to time. Thanks for the joy you brought to so many! Congrats on the promotion! Can someone take over the Body Farm topic from here on out? 😉

24. I read the news today. Ho-BOY!! A well-deserved placement for ya, Frank. All the best for you and the new Classic Hits 93.1 WNOX! The signal sounds great all the way into Morristown by the way.

25. RANZ BURKE says:

Congratulations on the new position Frank. I have been listening to the morning show for a very long time. I always get a good laugh out of the trio. It sad to see you leave that show, but amazing that you are doing something you have always wanted to do. Knoxville has been a better place since you been on star 102.1. I wish you much success in your new position. A shout out to Marc and Kim. You guys still rock!!!!! Rock on Frank!

26. Shirley Harris says:

Frank, I tuned in every day for your comments. I will miss your thoughts on lifes daily happenings. Shirley

27. Tracie says:

SO SO SAD. You were my favorite FOR SURE. I love the show but honestly, it was your stories and comments that were my favorite.
    happy for you. sad for us.

28. Pingback: Coming Up, Roses : Frank Murphy Dot Com