The rumor of a Monty Python sing-along turned out to be true. I didn’t want to miss a moment of the Closing Ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics because of Eric Idle’s performance of “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.” I heard a couple of my favorite songs while waiting for Idle. “Wonderwall” and “The Rockafeller Skank” remind me of my radio days in Los Angeles in the 1990s. I even got caught up in the excitement over the Spice Girls reunion.
My Facebook news feed revealed something about my friends. Those who are older than me generally hated the closing ceremony, while those who are younger loved the songs. Here’s a sampling of their posts:
- I don’t do LSD, but if I did…I would make sure I was watching the Olympic Closing Ceremonies! I don’t know about you but I have never seen a worse Olympic Closing Ceremony in my life! This goes beyond sucks!
- Closing ceremonies…My mom and I are at a loss for words. At least there hasn’t been a giant baby doll head…yet. Horrible.
- What in the hell is Jessie J wearing???? It looks like an ice skater costume. Wrong Olympics, sweetie!
- They have a DJ for the closing ceremonies. Really?
- NORMAN COOK! But, whenever I hear this song, I expect Ursher to tell me and the rest of the high school prom how to do the dance.
- I was going to make some lame joke about the Spice Girls still being hot (think SGILF), but then Eric Idle appeared on my TV and I forgot about everything else in the world. I love me some Monty Python. I wish the rest of the boys (those still alive) were with him.
- That was so awesome. Life of Brian on the world stage… lol.. oh wait, I’m not supposed to find that funny… bad Catholic, bad Catholic… lol
- Eric Idle for the win!!
- Only this Olympic Ceremony could make me NOT want to go to Rio!