Never Forgotten

funeral program for FDNY Captain Terence S. Hatton Terry Hatton died on September 11, 2001. Unlike the innocent murder victims who were already in the World Trade Center when terrorists struck, Terry ran into a burning building in an effort to save others. It was his job. He was captain of FDNY Rescue 1. He was also my first cousin. At the wake, Terry’s father, former FDNY Deputy Chief Ken Hatton, described Terry’s death as a casualty of war.

Each year on the anniversary of the attacks, I try to post something to honor my cousin’s memory. It’s a sobering thought that the next 9/11 will be the tenth anniversary of Terry’s death. The death of Osama Bin Laden (on Divine Mercy Sunday) has prompted me to gather some memories of Terry that others have posted online.

• Terry was married to Rudy Giuliani’s assistant Beth. During his presidential campaign, Giuliani’s staff posted a section of the book “Leadership” that focused on Terry.
  • A CBS News story on “48 Hours” told of Terry’s last known words as he entered the building. It also tells how Beth discovered she was pregnant shortly after Terry died.
  • Terry was already considered a hero before 9/11.. In 2005, a block of 43rd Street was renamed Captain Terence S. Hatton Way.
  • A camera crew recorded a  few seconds of Terry at a fire in April, 2000. As I recall it was for a syndicated reality show. Someone has posted the footage, probably illegally, on YouTube. While it’s still there, you can see Terry at 24 seconds in.

8 Responses to Never Forgotten

1. Nathan says:

Truely a great man….

Thanks for posting memories of Terry, Frank.

My thoughts are with you :)

2. Frank Murphy says:

As a Catholic, I am interested in reading posts from others to help me deal with the conflict I feel. It is my hope that there will be fewer terrorist attacks and that lives will be saved as a result of Bin Laden’s death. However I keep asking myself, “what would Jesus do?” Would He have killed His enemy? It helps me to know that Bin Laden resisted capture before being killed.
    Here’s a blog post by Wendy Stewart titled “A Catholic Veteran Reacts to the Death of Osama Bin Laden.”

3. Lissa says:

I cannot claim this as my own, found it on the K-Love Facebook page but it accurately reflects my thoughts:

Only one man’s death ever changed the world, and we celebrated that a week ago.

“For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!” –Romans 5:17

4. Is this V-T (Victory over Terrorism) Day? I hope and pray it is. Bravo Zulu to the gentlemen of the S.E.A.L. team who accomplished this, as well as to all the men and women of the armed forces who have sacrificed so much for us over the past 10 years.

5. Lissa says:

Also, as the news reports rolled in one after the other, each more horrifying than the last, the one that brought me to my knees that day was the report of the hundreds of rescuers – EMS, fire and police – that ran into the burnng buildings and were still inside when they collapsed. On 9/11, I was an active duty licensed paramedic, and was on stand-by for response in Anderson County. There is an enormous sense of fraternity among emergency responders that knows no geographic boundaries – so those responders that gave their lives were my brothers and sisters. I mourn their loss and celebrate their heroism everyday.

6. Andrew Ballew says:

While I believe that such actions as the killing of Bin Laden are necessary and justifiable, at the same time I believe they are the necessary lesser evil that comes from the hardness of all humanity. We are all broken, we are all sinners, and war and hatred amongst all peoples are the fruit of our condition. I mourn for all the victims of terrorism, but unlike many cannot find pleasure that killing and more death is the inevitable solution.

Ezekiel 18:23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

7. Giannine says:

I thought it odd that we went hunting terrorists the same weekend that we beatified John Paul II and prayed for Divine Mercy. Gaddafi’s family is dead and Bin Laden is buried at sea. I understand why, but I am not going to throw any parties. Nobody wins when men have to shed blood. Those seals have seen things they will never be able to un-see. They are heros, no doubt.

Your cousin is a hero, too. I think his voice sounded so much like yours! It is wonderful that your voice has become what you use as your vocation. Praising the Lord in what you do. In many ways, perhaps it honors your cousin, too. He lives on in your shared genetic trait. Heaven and earth praising together, and you don’t even have to think about it. God works miracles through our genes, I think. (Then there are those times we are sure our genetics are how He expresses a divine sense of humor!) Fortunately, the Lord gave you one of those, too!

8. Frank Murphy says:

Here’s a quote from the reaction from the Vatican: “Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of each and every one of us before God and before man, and hopes and commits himself so that no event is an opportunity for further growth of hatred, but for peace”

Comments are closed.